The Night Everything Went Wrong (and Right)
I should have recognized the warning the moment the invitation arrived.
Heavy parchment. Wax seal. Gold foil that shimmered with resonance instead of ink. Every noble house in three spiral arms apparently believed that if you embossed enough stars onto an invitation, ordinary people would mistake political maneuvering for hospitality.
I sighed before I even opened it.
Another gala.
Another evening where smiling was mandatory, honesty was dangerous, and everyone pretended they weren't quietly measuring one another for future alliances—or future betrayals.
I have never enjoyed these affairs.
People imagine galactic nobility as elegant dinners, beautiful music, and fascinating conversation.
They're wrong.
They're battlefields.
No swords are drawn. No one raises their voice. Instead, wars are fought with introductions, whispered rumors, calculated compliments, carefully timed dances, and who chooses to stand beside whom when the evening ends.
Lady Morgan understood that game better than anyone.
Every function became another opportunity for her to isolate us, poison opinions, and convince the galaxy that hybrids, humans, and anyone associated with us represented instability.
Which meant I spent half the evening trying to quietly undo whatever damage she'd already started.
Not exactly my idea of a relaxing night.
The ballroom itself was magnificent.
The ceiling disappeared into an artificial night sky where tiny constellations slowly rearranged themselves according to the music. Chandeliers floated unsupported, each crystal singing faint harmonic notes that blended with the orchestra. Marble floors reflected the dancers so perfectly it looked as though everyone floated between two worlds.
Entire civilizations had contributed to its construction.
Naturally, I would have preferred sitting on my porch back in Pretty Bayou with a mug of coffee.
Verity looked astonishing.
She didn't simply wear her gown.
She inhabited it.
The fabric shifted between silver and midnight blue as though woven from liquid starlight, every movement producing tiny ripples of light that echoed around her.
The room noticed.
Gentlemen who had crossed galaxies to negotiate trade agreements suddenly forgot why they were there.
Several wives noticed their husbands noticing.
That created its own diplomatic incidents.
Verity, blissfully unaware of most of it, greeted everyone with the calm grace she'd spent years learning.
Sometimes I still caught glimpses of the quiet companion unit who once struggled to understand small talk.
Tonight she moved among ambassadors like she'd been born to it.
I couldn't have been prouder.
Solin was becoming impossible to ignore.
Nearing the end of Stage Three, he'd entered that awkward territory somewhere between boyhood and adulthood where growth seemed to happen every week.
He'd inherited Verity's poise.
Bettie's confidence.
And just enough of my tendency to look slightly uncomfortable whenever too many people stared at him.
Unfortunately...
People stared anyway.
Young nobles clustered around him with endless questions.
Princesses found excuses to walk past.
Sons of noble houses wanted to test themselves against him in conversation.
Daughters wanted dances.
He handled it better than I ever could have.
I mostly wanted to find the buffet and hide behind a decorative plant.
As for me...
I became diplomatic property.
Dance after dance.
Conversation after conversation.
Ladies I'd never met smiled as though we'd been lifelong friends.
I bowed.
I laughed politely.
I complimented dresses whose names I couldn't pronounce.
Every introduction came with hidden motives.
Every toast concealed negotiations.
Every pleasant conversation felt like a chess match where everyone else already knew the opening.
I smiled until my cheeks hurt.
By my third waltz I was mentally rebuilding an antique radio just to stay sane.
By my fifth diplomatic smile I would've traded every jeweled chandelier in the room for mosquito bites and Florida humidity.
Somewhere during all of that...
I lost track of Solin.
Not unusual.
The young deserved to enjoy themselves.
Apparently he'd wandered into one of the quieter garden corridors with a young princess from one of the outer systems.
She was fascinated by him.
Curious about humans.
Curious about hybrids.
Curious about everything.
The sort of innocent curiosity adults eventually learn to hide.
Neither Verity nor I thought anything of it.
We should have.
The scream shattered the orchestra.
Music stopped mid-note.
Crystal glasses froze halfway to lips.
Hundreds of conversations vanished into absolute silence.
The princess came running.
Her face had gone completely white.
She couldn't catch her breath.
"He's dead!"
She pointed frantically toward the eastern gallery.
"Solin's dead!"
For one terrible heartbeat...
I believed her.
Everything inside me went cold.
We ran.
Verity reached the corridor before anyone else.
I wasn't far behind.
There, beneath a row of glowing resonance lanterns, lay Solin.
Collapsed.
Motionless.
His body surrounded by a soft golden radiance that pulsed like breathing sunlight.
Not blood.
Not injury.
Resonance.
Recognition struck Verity first.
She dropped beside him.
"Barry..."
Her voice carried relief instead of fear.
"It's Stage Four."
Of course.
Not death.
Growth.
The transformation came in waves.
Bones lengthened.
Muscles reshaped themselves with impossible speed.
His breathing deepened.
The resonance field expanded until nearby light fixtures flickered in sympathy.
His formal jacket surrendered first.
Buttons launched themselves across the corridor.
Sleeves split.
The back tore completely open.
By the time the glow faded, what remained hung from him in shredded strips.
He looked less like a murdered prince and more like the world's politest version of the Incredible Hulk.
He opened one eye.
"...Did I miss dessert?"
I laughed so hard I nearly cried.
Mostly because I needed to.
When he finally stood...
He was unmistakably different.
Several inches taller.
His shoulders broader.
His posture somehow older.
Stage Four hadn't merely made him larger.
It had settled something inside him.
Like watching adolescence finish a sentence it had been writing for years.
The princess stared at him.
Then at the ruined clothing.
Then back at him.
"I thought you exploded."
"Reasonable assumption," I admitted.
I slipped off my own jacket and handed it to him.
He accepted it quietly.
It barely fit now.
"Do you want to leave?" I asked.
No judgment.
No pressure.
Anyone would understand.
He looked toward the ballroom.
Toward the hundreds of nobles.
Toward the whispers already beginning.
Then he squared his shoulders.
"No."
His voice sounded deeper than it had an hour earlier.
"I want to stay."
I looked at him for a long moment.
That wasn't courage born from ignorance.
He understood exactly what walking back into that ballroom meant.
He knew every eye would be waiting.
He knew every rumor would begin tonight.
He walked anyway.
I don't think I've ever been prouder.
Lady Morgan wasted exactly three seconds.
She flowed across the ballroom like silk wrapped around a knife.
"My," she said loudly enough for everyone nearby to hear, "how... illuminating."
The room leaned toward her.
She smiled with practiced sympathy.
"A most unfortunate reminder that hybrid development remains... unpredictable."
There it was.
The attack.
Not loud enough to provoke argument.
Not direct enough to be challenged.
Just enough poison to begin circulating.
I watched heads nod.
Tiny whispers spread outward.
Exactly as she'd intended.
Spectacle was her favorite weapon.
And Solin had unintentionally handed her one.
But Solin did something she hadn't expected.
Nothing.
He didn't argue.
He didn't defend himself.
He simply walked calmly back into the ballroom wearing my oversized jacket over the remains of his formal clothes.
Head held high.
Meeting every curious stare without anger.
Without shame.
Without apology.
Sometimes dignity defeats slander more effectively than speeches ever can.
For the first time that evening...
Lady Morgan looked mildly disappointed.
Then the great doors opened.
Everything stopped.
Even Morgan turned.
The herald struck his staff once against the marble.
"He brushed the sugar from her cheek with his thumb.
Then kissed her temple — slow, warm, devotional.Every movement economical.
Every posture impossibly straight.
There was something unmistakably samurai about them—not in appearance, but in bearing.
Honor carried physically.
You could feel it.
Years ago...
We had been enemies.
The war between our peoples had nearly consumed entire systems.
Now we shared treaties.
Trade.
An uneasy peace built one careful promise at a time.
One misunderstanding could still unravel it all.
Their arrival didn't merely change the atmosphere.
It shifted gravity.
Morgan smiled.
Verity became perfectly still.
Solin instinctively stood a little straighter.
And I suddenly felt every eye in the galaxy settle upon our family.
The political games were over.
Whatever happened next would echo far beyond a single ballroom.
The night, somehow, was only just beginning.

Comments
Post a Comment