Choice

 Nerys stepped forward.

Her fear had been replaced by something else now.

Anger.

"You promised me."

Lady Morgan tilted her head.

"Promised you what, my dear?"

"That I could stay."

Her mother's expression barely changed.

"You have stayed."

"You said I could attend the Academy."

"And you have."

"You said I could make my own friends."

Lady Morgan's eyes moved toward Solin.

"I see."

Nerys stepped closer.

"I made friends."

For the first time, something like sadness crossed Lady Morgan's face.

"Yes."

Nerys pointed toward Solin.

"He's my friend."

Lady Morgan studied him.

"Is this the boy?"

Nerys frowned.

"What?"

"The boy who has been carrying your books."

Nerys's cheeks reddened.

"He offered."

"The boy who eats lunch with you?"

"Yes."

"The boy who walks you to class?"

Nerys glanced at Solin.

"Sometimes."

"The boy who studies with you in the library?"

"Yes."

Lady Morgan looked at Solin for a long moment.

"Do you know who he is?"

Nerys stiffened.

"He's Solin."

"That is his name."

Lady Morgan took another step forward.

"He is artificial."

Solin's expression changed.

Nerys looked at her mother.

"What?"

"He was created."

Lady Morgan's voice was calm.

"From swamp."

Solin said nothing.

"And faulty software."

A few students nearby began whispering.

Nerys looked horrified.

"Stop."

Lady Morgan continued.

"He is the son of Barry Nightwater."

Solin's eyes narrowed.

"That's my father."

Lady Morgan smiled.

"Yes."

Nerys looked at Solin.

Then back at her mother.

"That doesn't matter."

Lady Morgan's smile disappeared.

"It matters enormously."

"No."

Nerys shook her head.

"He's my friend."

"That is precisely the problem."

Solin stepped forward.

"Lady Morgan."

She looked at him.

"You seem to know quite a bit about me."

"I do."

"Then you should know something too."

"What?"

"I don't care what I was made from."

The Academy grounds had become completely silent.

Solin looked at Nerys.

"She doesn't either."

Nerys's eyes filled with tears.

Lady Morgan studied him.

"You have your father's arrogance."

Solin smiled faintly.

"I've been told."

"And his tendency to interfere."

"That too."

Lady Morgan looked at Nerys.

"You have become attached."

Nerys stepped between them.

"Yes."

Her voice shook.

"But that's not a bad thing."

Lady Morgan stared at her daughter.

"You were supposed to observe."

"I did."

"You were supposed to learn."

"I did."

"You were supposed to remain detached."

Nerys looked at Solin.

"I tried."

Lady Morgan's expression softened.

"And?"

Nerys took Solin's hand.

"I couldn't."

Solin looked down at their joined hands.

Then back at Lady Morgan.

The aristocrats behind her remained perfectly still.

Varek stood several yards away, watching everything.

His eyes never left Lady Morgan.

Lady Morgan finally sighed.

"You've always been difficult."

Nerys smiled through her tears.

"Mother."

Lady Morgan looked at Solin again.

"Barry Nightwater's son."

Solin raised an eyebrow.

"That's still my name."

A faint smile touched Lady Morgan's lips.

"Perhaps."

Then she turned toward the Academy.

"Let us discuss what happens next."

Nerys tightened her grip on Solin's hand.

Solin squeezed back.

Whatever Lady Morgan had planned—

she had just discovered one thing she hadn't expected.

Her daughter had chosen a friend.

And Solin Nightwater had chosen her right back.



Comments