Nerys and the Nightwaters

 The Academy break changed Nerys.

Not dramatically.

Not all at once.

It happened slowly.

A little more color in her cheeks.

A little more strength in her step.

A little less hesitation when she entered a room.

Bettie fed her like she was preparing her for hibernation.

"Eat."

"I am eating."

"That's not eating."

"Bettie, I've already had two plates."

"Then you're making progress."

Nerys laughed.

Southern cooking did things to her that Academy nutrition never had.

Biscuits.

Gravy.

Fried chicken.

Corn.

Green beans.

And things Nerys couldn't identify but was perfectly willing to eat again.

Then came the bayou.

At first she wouldn't go near it.

"It has things in it."

"Yes," Solin said.

"What things?"

"Things."

"That's not reassuring."

Bettie laughed.

Within a week, Nerys was swimming.

Within two, she was beating Solin in races.

The beach was even better.

They played volleyball.

Raced along the shore.

Threw Frisbees.

Built elaborate sand structures that Dale immediately declared to be "a sovereign nation."

Nerys laughed more in those few weeks than Solin had ever seen.

She became stronger.

More confident.

More herself.

One afternoon, she sat beside Bettie on the porch.

"I don't think I've ever been this happy."

Bettie smiled.

"Then stay happy."

"I wish I could stay here."

"You can always come back."

Nerys looked toward the bayou.

"I know."

The message arrived three days later.

Verity received it first.

She entered the kitchen carrying a small communications device.

"Solin."

He looked up.

"What?"

"There is a message from Lady Morgan."

The room became quiet.

Nerys slowly lowered her fork.

"Mother?"

Verity nodded.

Nerys took the device.

She listened.

Her expression changed.

"She wants me home."

Bettie looked away.

Solin stood.

"How soon?"

"Immediately."

Solin sighed.

"I'll take you."

Nerys looked toward Bettie.

Bettie smiled.

"Don't make that face."

"What face?"

"The one where you're trying not to cry."

Bettie laughed.

"I'm not crying."

She was already crying.

Nerys hugged her.

"I'll come back."

"I know."

"Really."

"I know."

Solin opened the portal.

But before stepping through, he turned.

"I'll be back."

Bettie nodded.

"How long?"

"A few months."

"That's too long."

"It's the Academy schedule."

She nodded.

"I know."

Then she hugged him.

"Come home when you can."

"I will."

Dale suddenly appeared from behind the couch.

"I'M COMING TOO!"

Solin stared.

"No."

"YES."

"Dale."

"I have luggage."

"You don't."

Dale pointed dramatically.

"I have been preparing for this moment."

Solin opened his travel bag.

Dale jumped inside.

Solin closed it.

The bag immediately began moving.

"Dale."

"No."

"Dale."

"I am luggage now."

Verity approached.

"That is not how luggage works."

Dale's muffled voice came from inside.

"It is now."

Solin opened the bag and pulled him out.

Dale kicked his little feet.

"Unhand me!"

"No."

"Traitor!"

Nerys was laughing.

Bettie was crying harder.

Verity suddenly froze.

Her eyes flickered.

"Verity?"

She didn't answer.

Her image shimmered.

Then she spoke in three different voices at once.

"I am—am—I am—"

Her eyes flashed.

Then she returned to normal.

"Apologies."

Solin stared.

"Are you okay?"

"I believe so."

Bettie looked worried.

"That sounded bad."

"It was merely a temporary synchronization error."

Dale whispered:

"She cried."

Verity looked at him.

"I did not."

"You glitched."

"I prefer 'experienced a transient systems anomaly.'"

Solin laughed.

Then I walked over.

"Come here."

Solin looked at me.

I handed him a small pouch.

"What's this?"

"Credits."

He opened it.

"Dad."

"I finally figured out how to use them."

"You gave me money?"

"Don't make it sound so ordinary."

Nerys smiled.

Solin looked at the credits.

"How much?"

"Enough."

"For what?"

"Food. Books. Whatever kids spend money on at space school."

He smiled.

"Thanks."

I put my hand on his shoulder.

"Don't spend it all in one place."

Solin grinned.

"That's literally what you always say."

"Because it's good advice."

Nerys stepped through the portal.

Solin followed.

Then he stopped.

"I'll see you in a few months."

Bettie nodded.

"Go."

She waved.

The portal began closing.

Her smile held until the very last second.

Then she cried.

I put my arm around her.

Dale climbed onto my shoulder.

Verity stood beside us.

The portal disappeared.

The house suddenly felt enormous.

Empty.

Too quiet.

I looked at Bettie.

She looked at me.

"We'll see him soon."

"I know."

Dale sighed.

"I should have gone."

Verity looked at him.

"You attempted to conceal yourself inside his luggage."

"It was a sound strategy."

I smiled.

"Come on."

We walked back into the house.

Far away, Solin and Nerys arrived at the Academy.

And somewhere aboard a magnificent aristocratic vessel, Lady Morgan watched her daughter step through the doorway.

She stared.

Nerys was different.

Healthier.

Stronger.

Happier.

Lady Morgan looked at Solin.

"What did you do to her?"

Solin smiled.

"Nothing."

He glanced at Nerys.

"She just got to be a kid."

Lady Morgan looked at her daughter again.

For perhaps the first time in many years, she didn't have an immediate answer.

Nerys smiled.

And Lady Morgan realized something that disturbed her.

Three weeks on Earth had changed her daughter more than years of carefully controlled aristocratic education.

She looked toward Solin.

Perhaps the boy was more dangerous than she had originally thought.

Not because of his power.

Because of what happened to people around him.



Comments