Review: Ghost Files: The Collected Cases from Ghost Hunting and Seeking Spirits

| Friday, October 7, 2011 | |
Ghost Files: The Collected Cases from Ghost Hunting and Seeking Spirits
by Jason Hawes
Paperback: 560 pages
Publisher: Gallery Books
ISBN-10: 1451633106
ISBN-13: 978-1451633108

Ghost Files is composed of two earlier books by Jason Hawes and Grant Wilson. Not having read either Ghost Hunting or Seeking Spirits, I jumped at Gallery Books’ offer to review Ghost Files.

Let me start off with a disclaimer, I enjoy Ghost Hunters and Ghost Hunters International as entertainment. I have been, and continue to be, skeptical of the show. Having said that, I find it entertaining.

If you pick up this book hoping for some sort of heart-felt confession of fraud, you will be sorely disappointed. There are no confessions of hoaxing, no loosened light bulbs on the lighthouse’s motion detector, no fishing line pulling chairs, and no string pulling collars. In fact the book(s) are brief summaries ( 2 to 5 pages ) of their earlier cases.

I found Jason’s green olive story interesting. He claimed that green olives stopped his visions, “I ate those suckers all day long, a bottle a day, and the visions I’d been having went away. I wasn’t cured for life, because whenever I stopped eating olives the visions came back.”

I liked the color pictures included in the book. One of my biggest pet peeves is bad graphics in a book. There is a nice glossary for those unfamiliar with the terms used, but the language used is largely non-technical.

I would recommend this book to the new Ghost Hunters fan. It’s a good way to get up to speed on what the Ghost Hunters do and have done. If, like myself, you missed both books (Ghost Hunting or Seeking Spirits,) this may be the book for you. I think a long-term fan will find the summaries to be brief and repetitive. I give it 3 1/2 stars.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from Gallery Books. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 : “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

0 comments:

Post a Comment